Skip Navigation
Angelo State University
University Police Department

Search Site

Information for:

Frequently Asked Questions

  • Where are you located?

    The university police department is located adjacent to the campus at 1702 W. Ave N.

  • Are you really police or just a security department?

    Angelo State University police officers are duly sworn and licensed as peace officers by the State of Texas, and are commissioned by the Texas Tech University System pursuant to the Texas Education Code, Section 51.203; entitled “Campus Peace Officers”.

    Although the officer’s primary duty and jurisdiction is to serve the Angelo State community, their jurisdiction as police officers extends statewide. Each officer is armed and possesses the same authority under the law as do municipal or county peace officers. The department ensures that each officer complies with the training and standards set out by the Texas Commission on Law Enforcement Standards and Education (TCLEOSE). All officers receive the same basic training as municipal and county peace officers, plus additional training to meet the
    unique needs of a campus community environment.

    The university police department is the primary agency for reporting and investigating criminal activity occurring on the Angelo State University campus. Officers patrol the campus 24 hours each day, 365 days a year.

    The police department provides immediate response to all police, fire and medical emergencies. Accidents involving automobiles and bicycles are also investigated by the police department.

    Where criminal prosecution is sought, misdemeanor cases are regularly forwarded to the county attorney’s office and felony offenses are filed with the district attorney’s office.

    Class C misdemeanors, including off campus traffic violations, are filed with the Tom Green County Justice of the Peace, Precinct 4.

  • What is the difference between a university police officer and an officer or deputy sheriff in my hometown?

    There are more similarities than differences. University police officers must undergo a stringent screening process before they are employed. In many cases, our screening process is more stringent than those found with other law enforcement agencies throughout the state. Once employed, a university police officer must attend and comply with all training rules and regulations set forth by the Texas Commission on Law Enforcement Standards and Education (TCLEOSE).

    In addition to enforcing state laws, university police officers are also responsible for assisting in enforcing university parking rules and regulations, housing rules and regulations, and the student code of conduct.

  • How large is the University Police Department?

    The university police department has an authorized strength of 13 police officers and 6 support staff. This does not include parking services employees. Currently, there are three officers assigned to each of the three uniformed patrol shifts (day, evening, midnight), and one officer assigned to a “power shift” which provides additional manpower during times in which calls for service tend to be the highest. The remaining officers are assigned to administrative or investigative duties. Support staff functions include police dispatchers, parking clerical staff, parking enforcement personnel, and support services staff.

  • Am I allowed to have a firearm on campus? Will the university police store a hunting firearm for me?

    Only individuals with a valid Texas Concealed Handgun License are permitted to have carry a handgun on their person. The weapon must be concealed at all times and the individual must abide by all campus rules and regulations pertaining to the carrying of a concealed handgun. For more see


    Due to liability reasons, the university police department does not provide storage for any weapons.  Hunting firearms are not permitted inside campus buildings.

  • How safe will I be on campus?

    Being safe means different things to different people. Some people measure safety by the amount of crime on campus. Typically, most university and college campuses experience less crime than their surrounding communities. Our annual crime statistics may be found by visiting Clearly Report.

    The university police department, along with other university departments, has implemented a number of programs and features to assist with safety. These include:

    • Campus emergency notification system called, ASUAlert
    • Outdoor emergency call boxes are strategically located across campus
    • An escort program - dial 2071 on campus
    • Crime prevention programs presented in the residence halls and at other locations upon request.
    • A Rape Aggression Defense Program that is frequently offered for female students and staff.
    • Officers patrolling many academic and residential buildings, walkways and parking lots in vehicles, on bicycles and on foot.

    Additionally, the police department has a strong campus watch program and several full-time patrol officers assigned to additional crime prevention duties. Our crime prevention unit is available to provide information or present programs.

    However, being safe is often based on common sense and following those well-known rules that your parents and others have taught you. This includes:

    • Don’t trust strangers
    • Always travel with those you know
    • There is safety in numbers
    • Don’t leave valuables unattended (not even for a minute)
  • If my car breaks down, will a university police officer help me?

    University police officers are not trained mechanics or locksmiths. However, they will try to offer assistance to any stranded motorists. Services are limited to attempts at jump-starting your vehicle or helping you gain access to your vehicle if you have locked yourself out; provided your vehicle has manual windows and locks.  

    Generally, the complexity of late model vehicles requires a person with special training and who is bonded and insured to reimburse the motorist for any damage that may be caused to their vehicle while it is being serviced. While the university police department cannot offer this level of service and protection, there are many garages and service stations in close proximity of the campus that can assist you when you have a problem with your vehicle. We recommend that you ascertain what motor clubs are recognized by the local garages and service stations and obtain a membership in one of those clubs.

    Regardless of whether a university police officer can assist you with your vehicle’s problem, we recommend that you call and notify us of your situation. If you have concerns about being stranded in a remote area, a university police officer can transport you to another campus location of your choice while you await assistance.

  • I am interested in obtaining a degree that will help me become a police officer. May I do an internship at the university police department?

    The university police department does not have an internship program. Individuals may request to do “ride alongs” with campus officers as deemed appropriate and with the approval of the chief of police.

  • I am a parent whose son or daughter will be away from home for the first time. I am concerned about any potential problems they may incur. Is there anything I can do?

    Moving from home and being on your own for the first time is a major life step for most young people. They must accept a higher level of responsibility for their behavior and safety. This is part of the maturation process through which they become responsible adults.

    One thing parents can do to help their son or daughter successfully progress through this process is to remain involved. Parents may wish to consider the philosophy that is practiced by many student affairs departments: support and challenge.

    Young people need support to help make good decisions or address issues in a responsible manner. Parents should stay in contact with their student(s) and discuss important life issues such as the use of alcohol, tobacco products or drugs, dating or personal safety. Students should be encouraged to contact the police department with any questions or problems they may have.

    However, young people also need to be challenged to take responsibility for their lives and actions. Parents are encouraged to help their student(s) make good decisions. Part of the adult learning process is for students to understand there are consequences associated with bad decisions. This includes decisions that result in unacceptable behavior. Parents should constantly remind their student(s) of this fact and that the student(s) can be accountable to parents, the university and themselves.

  • Where can I find the current list for sexual offender/predators who live in my area?

    Visit the Texas Department of Public Safety Crime Records Services for more information on individuals reported as being sexual offenders or predators. This database provides what is perhaps the most current list available for this information.

  • How can I get a copy of a police report?

    If you wish to get a copy of a police report, you need to contact the University Police Department at 325-942-2071. There is no charge to obtain a police report if you are a current student, faculty or staff member.

  • What happens when I discover a theft or other crime?

    Reports of theft or other crimes are reported to University Police for investigation. Resident assistants play a major role in reporting criminal activity in the residence halls and are required to keep a log of incidents occurring during their shifts. When appropriate, staff from Residential Programs may be involved in answering a call for assistance.

  • How do I report an emergency or crime?

    Contact the University Police by calling 2071 from a campus phone or 325-942-2071 from a housing / apartment phone outside campus.

    • your location (know where you are)
    • who you are
    • any suspect information available
    • and answer any other questions the dispatcher has
  • I was a victim of a crime on campus. What should I do?

    If you are a victim of a crime, notify the University Police immediately. Call 325-942-2071 for any campus emergencies. Do not disturb any evidence. Information that would assist police in resolving the case:

    • name of victim
    • exact location of the incident
    • injuries or need for medical attention
    • description of the scene
    • description of any suspect
    • description and license numbers of any involved vehicles
  • If I witness a crime or suspicious activity, what should I do?

    If you witness a crime or suspicious activity, notify the campus police immediately by calling 325-942-2071. Do not disturb any evidence. Information that would assist police in resolving the case:

    • name of victim
    • exact location of the incident
    • injuries or need for medical attention
    • description of the scene
    • description of any suspect
    • description and license numbers of any involved vehicles
  • How can I get information on crime statistics and safety tips?

    The University Police Department publishes a compilation of campus crime statistics each year. This and other important information is available online by visiting our web page at

  • Is there any other means of keeping up with what the University Police is doing?

    Yes. The university police maintain an active and frequently updated Facebook and Twitter account.

  • Do I pay my campus parking tickets at the University Police Department?

    No. Parking Services is located at a different location on campus. Parking fines are paid either online through RamPort or in person at the student accounts office located in the Mayer Main Administration Building.

  • Where is Parking Services located?

    Parking Services is located at 1825 S. Johnson, on the corner of S. Johnson and W. Ave N. Parking Services may be reached by calling 325-486-6435 or emailing them at For more information, please visit Parking Services.

  • Where do I go to check on something I’ve lost on campus and want to check lost and found?

    The University Police Department is responsible for maintaining and operating the campus lost and found. You may either call or go by the police department to check on any lost property. The police department also provides an online way for you to search for items lost. This resource allows you to search the entire database of all items currently housed in lost and found.

ASU Logo