VPN Software Installation and Usage
All ASU students, faculty, and staff must complete the Remote Network Access Request form before using VPN software.
ASU uses Cisco AnyConnect VPN software to allow remote users to connect securely to the ASU network and get to resources that are usually only available from on-campus. This page covers installation and usage of VPN software on desktops and laptops. For information about using VPN on mobile devices refer to our VPN for Android and VPN for iOS pages.
ASU Faculty and Staff are required to use Duo Security when logging into some software such as VPN. Duo Security is a two-factor authentication service that is secure and easy to use.
You must download the Cisco AnyConnect software in order to securely connect to the Angelo State University network.
- Faculty and Staff only - you will now also need to authenticate using Duo (See the Duo Security page for more information about enrolling in and using Duo). Choose an authentication method and approve the connection to continue.
- Click on the appropriate link below:
- Log in using your RamPort username and password.
- Once logged in, click Continue to accept the usage terms.
- If the installation does not begin automatically, click the link in the Manual Installation section to download the app. Open the downloaded .exe (Windows) or .dmg (Mac) file and follow the instructions to install AnyConnect.
After the Cisco AnyConnect software has been successfully installed, the program icon will appear in the taskbar (Windows) or in your Applications folder (Mac). Mac users can drag the application icon to their Dock for easier access.
- Open the Cisco AnyConnect application from the taskbar or Start menu (Windows) or the applications folder or Dock (Mac).
- If the connection field is empty, enter vpn.angelo.edu
- Click Connect.
- Make sure the proper group (Students or Facstaff) is selected, and enter your RamPort username and password.
- Faculty and Staff only - connection requires a second password for authentication using Duo. See the Duo Security page for more information about enrolling in and using Duo for two-factor authentication.
- Click OK.
- Accept the usage terms to continue.
You are now connected to the ASU network and can connect to your network drives as if you were on campus. Click the Disconnect button in the AnyConnect app when you are finished.