Skip Navigation
Angelo State University
Student Organizations

Search Site

Information for:

RSO Financial Resources

Registered Student Organizations are supported by the Multicultural & Student Activities Program office. It is our goal to ensure our student groups have the tools and knowledge necessary to lead an organization. Fiscal responsibility and financial literacy are significant components of this process. Below are resources and tips related to assistance with IRS, banking, and completing out forms. If their are additional questions and/or cannot find the information needed, contact our office for further assistance. (Disclaimer: This is general information over financial resources, and we do not take any financial responsibility).     

  • Applying for Employer Identification Number (EIN)

    The following information is general information over Employer Identification Numbers (EIN), content is taken from the Internal Revenue Service website. If there are any other questions not provided below with information needed, please contact our office or the IRS.

    What is an EIN?

    An EIN is a Employer Identification Number used to identify an entity for the use in filling tax returns with the government, opening bank accounts, and other official record keeping. It is also known as a Federal Tax Identification Number, it is a nine-digit number assigned to your organization by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS).

    Why you need an EIN?

    Any organization that collects funds or deals with money in any way is required to have a bank account that is independent from the university. Banks will need an EIN issued from the IRS to acquire an official bank account, without an EIN the bank will not form an account for your organization. Additionally, it is not recommended for the student to use their personal social security number to open a back account therefore an EIN is needed.

    Note: You will need to keep record of all information for the EIN for the next officer coming into position.

    Applying for an Employer Identification Number (EIN)

    If you need to create a bank account for your organization, you will need to apply for an EIN.

    When applying for an EIN you will asked to use Social Security Number (SSN), but this will not affect your taxes in any way. It is used to identify who has created the EIN for tax purposes when you file. For additional information refer to Employer Identification Number PDF File: Understanding Your EIN.

    Apply Online

    The online process is a primary source for customers to apply for and obtain an employer identification number. Be sure to apply as a Non-Profit Organization/Tax Exempt Organization. The Internal Revenue Service page will have content to read over before clicking Apply Online Now. Please review and understand the responsibilities of your EIN. After submitting your application download, save or print your conformation notice.

    If you have a questions, we recommend using the IRS Toll-Free Telephone Service 1-800-829-1040. 

  • Creating a Bank Account

    Before determining if your organization should set up a financial account, you are required to have an employer identification number (EIN). Once you have applied for an EIN, you will be able to open a bank account. This bank account is non-affiliated to the university. A bank account is required if the organization collects funds for dues or makes any type of revenue a bank account is needed. 

    What you need to know

    Some banks will require more information than others depending on their process.

    • You will need to acquire an Employer Identification Number (EIN), issued by the IRS to identify your organization. 
    • Opening a bank account is convenient but remember their could be service charges and potential for earning interest on your money. 
    • The title of the bank account should be the name of the organization.
    • You can use our address:

    Multicultural & Student Activities Programs
    Name of Organization
    2601 W. Avenue N
    ASU Station #11038
    San Angelo, TX 76909

    Using the MSAP’s address will ensure that your RSO’s mail is logged; thus, reducing the risk of lost correspondence. We promptly notify all RSOs who receive mail, and it can be picked up in UC 114 Monday-Friday from 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. 

    • Do not include “Angelo State University” or any ASU affiliation name in the title of the account.
    • Some banks will require documentation that proves your organization exists. Therefore, we recommend having meeting minutes or a letter from an advisor.
    • Ask questions if you do not understand and keep record of all bank account information. Remember new officers depend on this information.  

    Can you use your personal or members account?

    No, you are not allowed to use personal or members bank account information to establish an organization bank account. Your student organization (President, Vice President or Treasurer) will set up the bank account. This means all information and records will remain under one account name. It is crucial to avoid any mistakes on the account and any Internal Revenue Service (IRS) tax liability for the organization/individual. Therefore, if any checks made out to your organization you will need to have the full proper name of the bank account so that deposits go into the correct account.

  • Filling out a W-9 Form

    What is a W-9 Form?

    A W-9 from is a request for Taxpayer Identification Number and Certification. 

    This resource is for general information adapted from the IRS website, if you have further questions, please contact the IRS.

    • Certify the Tax Identification Number (TIN) or Employer Identification Number (EIN) assigned is correct.
    • Certify you are not subject to backup withholding.
    • Claim exemption from backup withholding if you are an exempt payee.

    Not sure if you have the correct information?

    • If your organization does not already have a TIN or EIN, you are able to apply through the IRS website. Please refer to our section on EINs for more information.
    • Meet with your organization executive officers to collect the correct information. It is essential to update this information each year or semester as new leadership takes over the RSO.
    • Ask advisor for any recommendations or support when applying for an EIN or bank account information.    
    • You may want to get with the bank for information on your student organization file and identify the correct information.

    How do I fill out a W-9?

    Use this W-9 link as a guide only. Important sections have been highlighted in yellow.

    If any questions, please contact our office 325-942-2729.

ASU Logo