Skip Navigation
Angelo State University
Environmental Health, Safety and Risk Management

Search Site

Information for:


  • University Insurance Requirements

    The Office of Environmental Health, Safety and Risk Management (EHSRM) is responsible for managing the university’s insurance program. In accordance with the Texas Tort Claims Act, general liability insurance is not procured; however, we do purchase auto and property insurance. We also provide insurance consultation and related services.

    Our primary services are loss prevention and loss control. Loss prevention means preventing a loss before it can happen. Examples of loss prevention measures are driving safely and following fire safety standards. Loss control means limiting the impact when a loss occurs. A good example is the use of sprinkler systems to control fires.

    Departments should immediately notify our office anytime someone is seriously ill or injured or an accident or incident occurs involving university vehicles or property. We will investigate and administer the claim and if the claim is large enough to involve our commercial insurance carrier, we will act as the interface with them.

    Please contact EHSRM for questions regarding insurance or to accomplish requests to provide proof of insurance.

  • Contract Insurance Requirements

    ASU departments routinely engage in activities or enter into agreements or contracts with other parties that may create risk for the university. The nature of these activities must be evaluated to ensure that the parties to the agreement/contract adequately address the risk, obtain appropriate insurance, and provide the other party with proof of insurance.

    The Contracting Office is responsible for coordinating the university’s contracting processes, and will review all of the documents and any necessary proof of insurance before execution of an agreement/contract. Visit the Contracting Office website to obtain additional information regarding contract procedures. Review the Minimum Insurance Requirements to properly coordinate coverage requirements and limits.

  • International Travel Insurance

    We are pleased to announce that Angelo State University launched a new comprehensive travel risk management program partnered with On Call International to provide you emergency and non-emergency services and benefits. The Global Assistance Program will provide services ranging from pre-trip planning, to telephone advice, to full-scale medical and security evacuations. 

    Key features of the new program:

    • Medical, travel, and security assistance including insured evacuation and repatriation services
    • Coordination of medical care
    • Coordination and payment of travel arrangements for you or a person you designate for certain emergency circumstances

    Before you travel

    We suggest adding On Call International to the mobile phone you’ll be using abroad so you know how to contact them any time needed. Simply send a text message to the number 444-999 that says oncallttus and you’ll receive a link to easily add a digital content card right in to your phone contacts in just a few taps. It is not an app to download, just an easy way to make sure you have contact information available in case you need help while away from home. Regular text messaging rates may apply.   

    While traveling

    You can make a collect call, send an email, or text On Call from anywhere in the world 24 hours day to request assistance. If you need medical care, encounter a travel problem, suffer a medical emergency, or are impacted by security crisis anywhere in the world, we strongly encourage you to take advantage of services available through On Call.

    All students, employee leaders, and dependents (while traveling with employee leaders) are covered by this plan when outside their home country on Angelo State University related travel or assignment.  

    Please download the ASU On Call ID Card and Program Summary and the ASU KeynectUp Download Guide.   

  • Facility Use Insurance Requirements

    The Office of Special Events coordinates use of all university-owned property by other departments and non-affiliated entities. ASU departments do not have to obtain insurance to use campus facilities if the activity is university sponsored, but may be responsible for damages incurred.

    Use of facilities by non-affiliated entities is facilitated via a Facility Use Agreement, and liability insurance must be obtained. Please visit the Special Events website for more information.

    The party entering into a university agreement must provide proof of insurance.

    • A homeowner’s policy may include extended liability coverage.
    • A Tenant-User Liability Insurance Policy (TULIP) provides the required liability insurance for users of university-owned facilities.
  • Event Insurance Requirements

    University sponsored events taking place on university property may require the event organizer/sponsor to obtain general liability insurance. This is necessary when the following conditions exist.

    1. The event is categorized as “high risk” which typically describes events involving physical activity and/or the threat of property damage or personal injury. These types of events have included, but are not limited to; fun runs, power lifting contests, piano smashes, car smashes, hot air balloon rides, mechanical bull rides, zip lines, and inflatables.
    2. The sponsor of the high risk event allows participants that do not have a university affiliation, meaning they are not currently enrolled as a student or employed by Angelo State, to take part in the event.
  • Liability Release Forms

    In addition to insurance, participants are required to sign a liability release form prior to engaging in a high risk activity or event.

    All university departments and organizations sponsoring high risk activities or events must ensure all participants sign a release agreement as a condition of their participation. The Office of Environmental Health, Safety and Risk Management will coordinate the agreement with the event organizer or sponsor.

    The release agreement forms should be submitted to the department administrator responsible for retaining the forms. Release forms are required to be maintained by the responsible department (electronic or hard copy) for a minimum of (3) three years.

  • Trip Insurance

    Employees traveling for university affiliated/sponsored activities are afforded medical coverage for accidents and incidents under the SORM workers’ compensation program.

    Students participating in group travel for academic camps, conferences, field trips, or other events may wish to obtain trip insurance which provides coverage for accidents and sickness requiring ambulatory transport, medical treatment, and/or hospitalization. The Office of Environmental Health, Safety and Risk Management coordinates trip insurance with the department sponsoring the trip.

  • Workers’ Compensation Insurance

    The State Office of Risk Management administers the state’s workers’ compensation insurance program. For questions regarding workers’ compensation coverage and/or the university’s program, please visit the Human Resources website.


The State Office of Risk Management (SORM) provides resources to help protect state employees and physical and financial assets.

Learn More about SORM 

Event Insurance

Event insurance must be purchased by non-affiliated entities for use of university facilities.

Learn More about Event Insurance

ASU Logo