Skip Navigation
Angelo State University
Center for Student Success

Search Site

Information for:

Frequently Asked Questions

Advisor Information Advising Major Information 

Degree Plans and Form 48’s Holds 

Internships and Study Abroad

Advisor Information

  • Who is my advisor?

    If you are in the Norris-Vincent College of Business, you will either be advised by one of the professional advisors in the Norris-Vincent  College of Business’ Center for Student Success or a faculty advisor. You can find your advisor through RamPort under “Student Information”. If you are assigned to a professional advisor in the Center for Student Success, please call 325-486-6581 to make an appointment or stop by Rassman 201. If you are with a faculty member, please stop by their office to make an appointment with them. 

    Advising appointments typically last 20-30 minutes and we will be happy to answer all of your questions. 

  • What is the best way to communicate with my advisor?

    Our Academic Advisors can be reached by phone, email or in person. The Center for Student Success is open 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday (open through the lunch hour). The office number is 325-486-6581 and the email address is

  • Why should I enroll in courses recommended by my advisor?

    Your advisor has taken into account items that you may not have considered, such as: prerequisites, course rotation, degree requirements (by catalog), balancing your course workload and much, much more. In addition, advisors know how delaying some courses will delay your graduation.


  • When can I be advised for the next semester? Summer?

    During the fall, you will be advised for spring courses; during the spring, you will be advised for summer and fall courses. Advise-a-RAMa information can be found on the Advising website.

  • I need to be advised, but I am not in San Angelo. Can I be advised over the phone or via email?

    Yes! We are able to advise you via email or over the phone. We prefer to advise you by email, if not in person, but either works for us. Please send an email to your advisor stating you want to be advised via email. If you do not have an advisor or do not know who your advisor is, you can email Please note: Email advising is reserved for advising in between breaks and/or students not residing in San Angelo.

Major Information

  • How do I change my major to one offered by the Norris-Vincent College of Business?

    Visit Room 201 in the Rassman Building and the Academic Advisors can help you complete the required paperwork. (It only takes a few minutes!)

    Note: Printing a “what if” degree evaluation from RamPort for your intended major does not change your major in your student record.

  • What majors are offered through the Norris-Vincent College of Business?
    • Undergraduate:
      • Accounting
      • Finance: Corporate or Personal Financial Planning concentrations available
      • Management
      • Marketing
      • Management Information Systems
      • International Business
    • 4+1/Integrated
      • Accounting
      • Finance: Corporate or Personal Financial Planning concentrations available
      • Management
      • Marketing
      • Management Information Systems
      • International Business
    • Graduate
      • Master’s of Professional Accountancy
      • Master’s of Business Administration
  • What minors are offered through the Norris-Vincent College of Business?

    Please see our Business Minors page for more information.

  • When should I declare my major?

    You are required to declare your major by the time you complete 30 semester credit hours. Declaring your major will help you get and stay on track to meet your degree requirements.

  • Why does it matter what catalog year I file my degree plan under?

    Requirements change and the catalog under which you file your official degree plan affects those requirements. You can file under any catalog year in which you have been a student continuously enrolled. Catalogs expire after seven years and you must complete your degree requirements before your chosen catalog expires. If you do not, you will be moved to a new catalog and degree requirements could change.

  • What is a prerequisite?

    A prerequisite is a requirement that must be met prior to taking a course and, typically, includes successfully completing another course or multiple courses. For example: Before enrolling in ACCT 2301, you must have successfully completed MATH 1324 (first business math course, Finite Math).

  • What is a degree plan?

    A degree plan is an official document that you sign to declare your major and the catalog you intend to graduate under. Basically, it is a layout of courses needed to meet degree requirements.

Degree Plans and Form 48’s

  • How can I obtain a degree plan required by Veterans Affairs?

    Once you have visited with the VETS Center in Room 113 of the Houston Harte University Center, you should schedule an appointment with your Academic Advisor in the College of Business. Your advisor will assist you with preparing your degree plan. The VETS Center only needs to review your degree plan if you are a graduate student.

  • What is a Form 48, do I need one and, if so, where can I get help with it?

    ROTC cadets are required to complete Form 48 (an academic degree plan worksheet). Your Academic Advisor in the College of Business can assist you in reviewing your worksheet after you have completed a draft of the form.


  • How do I get a suspension lifted, so that I can be readmitted to ASU?

    If you are suspended from ASU, want to appeal, and feel as though you meet the requirements to do so, you must follow the instructions on the Suspension Appeal Application

Internships and Study Abroad

  • What is an internship?

    An internship is a temporary position that provides students with the opportunity to gain experience in their chosen field, determine if they have an interest in a particular career, create a network of contacts and/or gain school credit. Internships also provide employers with reduced cost labor and the prospect of interns returning to the company with minimal training required after completing their education.

  • How do I apply for an internship?

    First, you must research where you would like to intern. You should begin researching at least one long semester prior to when you want to enroll in the internship program. You can begin your search with programs listed on the ASU Career Development website.

    You must also obtain permission from the Internship Coordinator in you major’s department. This should also be done the semester prior to the time you will begin the internship. Contact your major’s department or a professional academic advisor to find out who the Internship Coordinator is for your major.

  • Are internships paid?

    Most corporate internship positions are paid, but some local internship positions may not be paid. Discuss with your professional academic advisor how this will affect your ability to work as an intern.

  • Will I receive credit toward my degree requirements by completing an internship?

    You must meet with your Academic Advisor and the Internship Coordinator in your major’s department prior to beginning any internship position, so as to ensure that it meets the criteria to satisfy degree requirements.

  • How do I apply for a study abroad program?

    You must meet eligibility criteria and apply online prior to program deadlines. For detailed information about study abroad programs and eligibility criteria, please visit the Center for International Studies website.

ASU Logo