Skip Navigation
Angelo State University
Veterans Educational and Transitional Services (VETS)

Search Site

Information for:

Graduation cake and stoll at the VETS Center at Angelo State University.

VA Educational Benefits

  • Veteran Benefits

    Note: The application instructions outlined in this website are specific to veterans planning to enroll at Angelo State University.

  • Dependent Benefits

    A number of benefits are available to the children and spouses of veterans and active military service members.

    Chapter 33: Post-9/11 GI Bill – Transfer of Entitlement

    All or some benefits of the Post-9/11 GI Bill can be transferred to your spouse or dependent children. Eligibility requirements may vary.

    Learn More about Transfer of Entitlement 

    Chapter 35: Dependents’ Educational Assistance (DEA) Program

    The DEA program is for eligible dependents of veterans who are permanently and totally disabled due to a service-related condition, or of veterans who died while on active duty or as a result of a service-related condition.

    Dependents may receive up to 45 months of education benefits.

    Learn More about the DEA Program

    My Career Advancement Account

    The My Career Advancement Account Scholarship assists military spouses in furthering their education. The scholarship can be used to pursue licenses, certificates, certifications or associate degrees. Eligible spouses can receive up to $4,000 in tuition assistance.

    Learn More about Career Advancement

    Hazelwood Act

    Please visit the Texas Veterans Commission website for up-to-date information regarding Hazelwood eligibility criteria and pending changes to legislation.

  • Yellow Ribbon Program

    The Yellow Ribbon Program is an agreement between ASU and the VA to provide assistance for veterans, service members and their dependents using the Post-9/11 GI Bill who do not qualify for in-state (resident) tuition rates.


    • Be eligible for Post-9/11 GI Bill at the100 percent rate (both veterans and dependents using transferred benefits).
    • Be an enrolled student who is not eligible for in-state tuition rates.
    • NOT be an active duty service member OR the spouse of an active duty service member.

    How to Request Funding

    Funds are limited and are awarded on a first-come, first-served basis. To request funds, you must:

    • Have a complete file in the VETS Center determining your eligibility for the Post-9/11 GI Bill.
    • Be enrolled for one or more upcoming terms at Angelo State.
    • Complete and submit a Request for Participation in the Yellow Ribbon Program prior to the payment deadline for the semester.

    Receiving Funds

    ASU’s Yellow Ribbon agreement provides the following funds:

    • Undergraduate Students: $4,000 per year
    • Graduate Students: $2,000 per year

    We accept the first five requests for each level per year. These funds are matched by the VA and applied directly to the cost of out-of-state tuition and fees.

    Note: Yellow Ribbon funds do not typically cover all tuition and fee charges. Participants should expect to pay at least a portion of their tuition and fees each year.

Unsure what benefit to use?

Benefit Comparison Tool

Additional Benefits

Students receiving VA educational benefits may also be eligible for a housing allowance and book stipend.

Learn More About Benefits

Tutoring Assistance Program

Tutoring is available through the VA to help you further your education.

Learn More About Tutoring

Transfer Students

ASU accepts transfer credits from regionally accredited colleges and universities.

Learn More About Transfer Credits

ASU Logo