The Angelo State University Honors Program — Texas Tech School of Medicine Early Decision Program allows students meeting certain criteria to apply to the Texas Tech School of Medicine a year early, in the summer after their sophomore year. Interviews are usually conducted in November or December of their junior year, and acceptance decisions are announced in early February. Students accepted through this program can waive the Medical College Admissions Test (MCAT).
Angelo State University students are competing with students from Texas Tech, Austin College, West Texas A&M, and Lubbock Christian University for a limited number of seats; therefore, building a competitive resume is critical for acceptance.
To be eligible for this program, students must meet the following criteria prior to admission to Angelo State:
- Must have at least a 1360 (Math and ERW) composite score on the SAT or at least a 29 ACT composite equivalent.
- Must be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident.
- Must have graduated from a high school in Texas and be a Texas resident.
- Must enter Angelo State as a freshman. Students classified as transfer students are not eligible for this program.
Students considering applying to the Early Decision program should notify the Honors Program Director during their initial semester as specialized advising is needed throughout the process. Students will be advised by both the Honors Program Director and the senior pre-med advisor (currently Dr. Russell Wilke) each semester prior to and after acceptance into the Early Decision program.
Students must complete the following criteria while at Angelo State University:
- Students must complete all course work at Angelo State (AP and dual credit courses are generally not accepted but may be replaced with a higher level course in the same discipline).
- Thirty-two of the following science credits must be completed by the end of the first semester of the junior year (with a minimum grade of a “B” in each).
- CHEM 1311/1111
- CHEM 1312/1112
- CHEM 3451 (must be completed or in progress during semester of interview)
- CHEM 3452
- CHEM 4331
- BIOL 1306/1106
- BIOL 1307/1107
- PHYS 1301/1101 OR PHYS 2325/2125
- PHYS 1402/1102 OR PHYS 2326/2126
- Any 6-9 hours of junior/senior level courses that apply towards a biology degree. Genetics or Cell Biology are recommended.
- Credit for MATH 3321 (Statistics) OR BIO 4480 (Intro to Biometry) is required.
- Students must have an overall GPA of 3.7 and a science GPA of 3.6 at the time of application.
- Students must complete a minimum of 100 hours in healthcare and service activities in the freshman and sophomore years.
- The CASPer test is an online screening tool designed to evaluate key personal and professional characteristics that the TTUHSC School of Medicine feels is important for medical students and graduates. A completed CASPer test taken and submitted by the application deadline is required to maintain admission eligibility.
- Early decision students will complete the HPAC interview process during their sophomore year.
Accepted students must complete four full years at Angelo State, maintain a minimum GPA of 3.7 overall and a 3.6 in sciences through graduation, and must graduate in good standing from the Honors Program. Students must also continue to complete the 100 hours per year in healthcare and service activities in both the junior and senior years.