Skip Navigation
Angelo State University
Current Students

Search Site

Information for:

Texas Residency

The determination of residency classification for tuition purposes is governed by Texas law and rules set forth by the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board. A student’s residency classification is initially based on the information provided on their ApplyTexas Application. If a student is classified as a non-resident and wishes to be considered for reclassification as a resident, it is necessary to submit the Residency Core Questionnaire to the Admissions Office. Supporting documentation will be required. Students must have applied to ASU in order to have their residency classification reviewed.

The following information is neither exhaustive nor complete and should not be interpreted as such. For detailed information about regulations relating to residency in the State of Texas, visit the College for All Texans Residency Information page.

  • Residency Eligibility through High School

    Residency through high school graduation is available to citizens or permanent residents of the U.S. and to international students. To establish residency through high school graduation, you must:

    1. Graduate from a Texas high school or receive a GED in Texas; and
    2. Live in Texas for the 36 months immediately before high school graduation; and
    3. Live in Texas for the 12 months immediately before the census date of the semester in which you enroll at Angelo State University.

    If a student meets the above criteria, but is not a United States citizen or Permanent Resident, they qualify for in-state tuition under Senate Bill 1528, and must submit a Residency Affidavit Form to the Office of Admissions.

  • Residency Eligibility through Establishing Domicile

    Residency by establishing a domicile in Texas is available to citizens or permanent residents of the United States and international students who hold an eligible visa. Non-citizens and non-permanent residents may also use this option if they have an application for permanent residency on file with the US Citizenship and Immigration Service.

    If you are independent for tax purposes, you may gain resident status if you establish domicile in Texas.  If your parent/court appointed legal guardian claims you as a dependent on their federal income tax return, they must establish domicile in Texas for you to claim residency.

    To establish domicile, the following criteria must be met:

    1. Live in Texas for 12 consecutive months; and
    2. Establish and maintain domicile for 12 consecutive months through one of the following methods:
      • Significant gainful employment  (Student jobs do not qualify as gainful employment.)
      • Ownership of residential real property in Texas
      • Marriage to a person who established and maintained domicile in Texas
      • Ownership of a business entity
  • Waivers to Pay Resident Tuition

    Students classified as non-residents may qualify to pay resident tuition based on one of the following waiver programs.  The individual remains classified as a non-resident, but a waiver of non-resident tuition is given for each semester of eligibility.

    • The student or student’s non-resident spouse or parent is a member of the Armed Forces or a commissioned officer of the Public Health Service and is stationed in Texas. A completed Active Duty Military/Dependent Certification Form should be submitted to the Office of the Registrar prior to registration.
    • The student is employed at least half-time as a teaching or research assistant in a position related to his/her degree program at a Texas public institution of higher education. The non-resident spouse and dependent children of the student shall also pay resident tuition.
    • The student or student’s non-resident spouse or parent is employed at least half-time on a regular monthly salaried basis as a teacher or professor at a Texas public institution of higher education.
    • The student holds an approved competitive scholarship from Angelo State University of at least $1,000 for the academic year or summer awarded by an official Angelo State University scholar­ship committee.
    • The non-resident student or student’s non-resident spouse or parent has been transferred to Texas by an Economic Development and Diversification program established as part of the state’s Economic Development and Diversification program. 
    • The student is a New Mexico resident who resides in a county bordering Texas.
      • New Mexico bordering counties: Otero, Dona Ana, Eddy, Curry, Lea Quay, Union, Roosevelt
    • The student is an Oklahoma resident who resides in a county bordering Texas.
      • Oklahoma bordering counties: Cimarron, Texas, McCurtain, Bryan, Jackson, Jefferson, Beckham, Beaver, Ellis, Roger Mills, Harmon, Cotton, Love, Marshall, Tillman, Choctaw

    For a complete listing of waiver programs, visit the College for All Texans Residency Information page.

  • Frequently Asked Residency Questions

    Parents’ Residency

    If your parent or legal guardian lives in another state and claims you as a dependent, you will be classified as an out-of-state resident unless you qualify on the basis of high school domicile, or your parent is away on temporary absence. You may be eligible for Texas residency if a parent or legal guardian resides in Texas and is eligible to claim you as dependent on their federal taxes.

    Temporary Absence

    A temporary absence by a student or parent, with the intention to return, does not affect your ability to claim residency if the temporary absence is the result of:

    • Service in the U.S. Armed Forces, Public Health Service, Department of Defense, or Department of State
    • Employment assignment
    • Educational purposes

    To claim a temporary absence, a student or parent must first establish Texas residency, then provide documentation of the reason for the temporary absence.

    Previous Classification Through Another Texas College or University

    If you were classified as a Texas resident while you were enrolled at another Texas institution of higher education for the previous academic year, you will be classified as a Texas resident at ASU. Documentation is required.

    Military Service Members

    Military service members may base residency on the state they list as their legal residence, as found on their Leave and Earning Statement (LES). If you do not list Texas as your state of legal military residence, you may be eligible for a waiver to pay in-state tuition if stationed in Texas. Please visit the Waivers to Pay Resident Tuition tab on the Texas Residency page to access the waiver form.

  • Residency Appeals

    If you have submitted the Residency Core Questionnaire form and have been classified as a non-Texas resident after review of the form, you have the option to appeal your residency determination.

    To appeal your determination, you must write a letter stating why you should be considered a Texas resident and provide any additional information to state your case further. Your letter should be addressed to the Residency Appeals Committee. The committee will review the information you submit and make a determination; the decision of the Residency Appeals Committee is final. Request for review or reclassification of residency status must be made prior to the twentieth class day. Angelo State University residency officials abide by Texas statutes and Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board rules and regulations when making residency determinations.

Contact Information

Undergraduate students who have questions about residency should contact the Admissions Office.

If you are a graduate student seeking Texas residency, please contact the College of Graduate Studies and Research at

ASU Logo