Meat Science Program Earns Top 15 National Ranking
June 25, 2020
Angelo State University has been ranked among the “Top 15 Colleges Offering a Degree in Meat Science in 2020” by the Online Schools Center higher education resource guide.
Bachelor of Science in food animal science and marketing degree program was highlighted, including its USDA-inspected Food Safety and Product Development Lab. Students utilize the lab to harvest, fabricate and process animals and produce a wide variety beef, pork, lamb and goat products. They also learn comprehensive food safety as they package the items for sale – and then use the latest techniques to market their products to the public at the ASU Meat Market.Specifically, the ASU Agriculture Department’s
Data and information for the Online Schools Center rankings were derived from the National Center for Education Statistics, meat industry associations, university websites and other rankings services, including U.S. News and World Report. Criteria for the rankings included:
- Rigorous coursework focusing on the many facets of meat production, preparation and distribution.
- Modern facilities and up-to-date principles that reflect the industry’s meat production and processing technologies and practices, giving students an insight into their future careers.
- Exposes students to field experience through internships and collaborative projects with major associations and key players in the meat industry.
- Undergraduate and graduate programs are available for fundamental or advanced Meat Science education and training.
- Offers certification programs aimed at industry professionals seeking to advance their skills or students aiming to supplement their formal Meat Science training.
- All programs are properly accredited by academic agencies, and recognized by meat industry associations.
According to the Online Schools Center, “We rounded up the country’s top-rated institutions that are well-known for their academic programs and courses in Meat Science…these schools and programs share exceptional features that produce the best-skilled workforce.”
“Angelo State University’s Bachelor of Science degree in Food Animal Science and Marketing is designed to address the demands of the industry. This undergraduate program imparts the disciplines and principles of effective meat product production and marketing utilized by industry leaders.”
The ASU Agriculture Department has also been ranked among the “Great Schools” for undergraduate majors in agriculture by The Princeton Review every year since 2014. The department offers five bachelor’s degrees and two master’s degrees that cover every aspect of the agriculture industry. The academic programs are supplemented by hands-on training and research at the 6,000-acre Management, Instruction and Research Center, more commonly called the MIR Center or ASU Ranch.