Ram Powerlifters Medal at Texas Strength Classic
March 05, 2020
Six members of Angelo State University’s Ram Powerlifting Club brought home a host of awards, including three first-place medals, from the U.S.A. Powerlifting (USAPL) Texas Strength Classic competition held March 1 at Texas Strength Systems in San Antonio.
The competition was open to all registered USAPL members. Competing in the Junior and Teen 3 divisions, ASU club members also recorded one third-place, one fourth-place and one sixth-place performance in various categories of both “equipped” and “raw” contests. Equipped contests allow competitors to wear special clothing, including bench shirts, squat suits and knee wraps, that allow them to lift heavier weights. Raw contests are conducted without any special clothing.
Lifters complete three attempts each at squat, bench press and deadlift. The qualifying total is the sum of the highest weight lifted in each of the three disciplines. ASU’s top finishers by category and weight class were:
- Jaylen Montgomery of Waco: First Place, Junior Equipped, 145 pounds
- Kory Young of Killeen: First Place, Teen 3 Equipped, 165 pounds
- Nicholas Propst of San Antonio: First Place, Teen 3 Raw, 230 pounds
- Eli Perez of Brownwood: Third Place, Junior Raw, 185 pounds
- Joshua Ontiveros of Kerrville: Fourth Place, Junior Raw, 265 pounds
- Roberto Riojas of Eagle Pass: Sixth Place, Junior Raw, 165 pounds
Unlike intramural teams, ASU club sports teams are registered student organizations that are directed and funded by the Office of Student Life and overseen by the Sports Club Council. Kelsey Wheadon of Copperas Cove is the student president of the Ram Powerlifting Club, and the faculty sponsor is Dr. Adam Parker, associate professor of kinesiology.